Saturday, September 30, 2006

Three Trees in the Lifting Fog


Three Trees in Lifting Haze
5 x 7", Gouache on Fabriano Artistico 100% rag paper


I met with my friend Sue to paint at the lakeshore this morning. The lake was covered with a thick morning fog, so I went inside for more coffee and returned as the remaining haze started to burn off. The trees were crisp and brilliant, with strong contrasts, and the remaining fog blanketed the background over the lake, partially obscuring the far shore. What a sight. Then I realized that I'd forgotten to bring my oil painting pochade box. I didn't feel like setting up a big french easel for a small painting, so I pulled out my gouache box which I happened to have with me, and painted in gouache instead.

Every time I paint in gouache I wonder why I don't do it more often. I adore this medium. It has the blendability/opacity benefits of oils, with the water solubility of watercolor, the crispness of acrylic, and the archival characteristics of the very best art mediums (if one chooses their pigments carefully, which I always do). It dries quickly to a nice, matt finish so it's easy to photograph, can be sent out immediately, and is simple to frame. (This painting fits a standard 8x10 mat with the usual 5x7 opening, so it can be easily matted and popped into any 8x10 frame.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jan Blencowe said...

Hi Jamie, This is so beautiful! You have such a knack for gouache! More please!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jamie Williams Grossman said...

Thanks, Jan! I was not happy to have forgotten my oils box! lol...But now in retrospect, I'm glad I did this one in gouache. I'll try to remember to stop and take pics along the way next time, so I can post a gouache-painting demo.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Dean H. said...

Gorgeous little painting. I like the placement of the trees. Your love of gouache shows through.

Deano from WC

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jamie Williams Grossman said...

Deano, thanks so much!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Shanti Marie said...

I saw this painting on the painter's a day blog and it "hit" me right away, perhaps its becuae I love anything with H20. haha..

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home