Friday, March 02, 2007

Chickadee Haven



Chickadee Haven
6 x 8", Oils on canvas covered hardboard
$125 unframed via PayPal, free shipping within US (email me for international rates)
This is a 6x8" compositional study in oils for a large painting I'm doing for the headquarters of Putnam County Land Trust, which is the building in the painting. (It used to be called Chickadee Haven by its former owner.) It abuts their 140 acre Peach Lake Natural Area. I felt like having a little color explosion today, so I did it using Charles Sovek's cadmium orange/cerulean blue light/shadow underpainting. I always like the vibrancy and depth that combination yields. I'll be doing the larger painting with more of a yellow/violet color harmony, rather than the orange/blue.

Here's a little idea of how this was done. I started with a mix of cadmium orange and titanium white for the lights, and cerulean blue for the darks. All light areas were blocked in with the orange mixture, and darker areas with the blue:


This is the beginning of the color-adding process:

1 Comments:

Blogger E-J said...

So many wonderful new paintings since I last checked your blog! You continue to inspire me, Jamie.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home