Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Last Leaves of Fall



Last Leaves of Fall
5 x 7", Oils on canvas covered hardboard

The weather was absolutely stunning today. It was an unexpected treat to find myself with a pocket of time this afternoon to scoot outside for some plein air work along the lakeshore. This is the third painting I've done of this tree. I've chosen it to paint throughout the seasons this year because of its interesting, multiple, twisted and curved branches, and the beautiful gold foliage it carries in fall. I've been wanting to paint it in fall for years, in fact! This is the first time I've ever done it with its fall coloring, and I have a feeling that the next time I go out there, the leaves will all be gone.

I'm including a photo of the scene below. It's always interesting to see how an artist simplifies a landscape when painting on location. The light changes so quickly, and of course we don't have time to get down everything that's there. Arranging a workable composition and ignoring distracting and unnecessary elements are all part of what goes into getting a successful painting done outside. In this case, I selected a close crop of the gold tree, and eliminated the trees between it and the distant shore.



1 Comments:

Blogger Making A Mark said...

I've loved watching you painting this tree through the seasons - please do it again next year as well. It can be your McPherson's pond!

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home