Friday, October 13, 2006

Hitching a Ride, #2 of Gourd Series



Hitching a Ride
5 x 7", Oils on canvas covered hardboard


These are just proving to be way too much fun to be legal! My palette was a little more limited this time. I used Cadmium yellow pale, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Red, Transparent Red Oxide, and Ultramarine Deep, plus titanium white of course. I made the ultramarine paint myself, and this was by far the best batch I ever made. Yummmm!

Everybody seems to like setup photos and to see work in progress, so I've included a couple more images below. The first one shows my still life setup plus the basic block-in of the composition, done using just transparent red oxide to position the elements on the canvas before going in with full color.



After that, I got carried away and didn't stop until I was almost finished. Here's the update pic with the setup, just shy of being completed. There were still some highlights, reflected light, deepening of some shadow areas, and overall tweaking here and there remaining to be done:



I haven't decided yet what I'll do for another encore, but these little guys are just so cute...I'm sure I'll come up with something!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home