Sunday, January 28, 2007

Open Studio Life Drawing---25 minute pose 36x24"

36x24", 25 minute pose:


36x24", 25 minute pose:

I love drawing on this crinkly brown craft paper, but taking photos of the results is always an insurmountable challenge. I'm finally arriving at the inevitable conclusion that if I like working on this color, I'm going to have to find a source for it that is in a form that stays flatter.

I finally got back to open studio life drawing today. It's such a great break from my usual art routine. I'll have 8 weeks of it on Sundays. That should almost get me back to plein air season! The poses were mostly one minute and ten minutes. We only got two, twenty-five minute poses out of the three hour session.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anita Davies said...

Oh Jamie I so envy you the chance to attend a 3 hour figure session, infact any session at all!
Have you tried sugar paper? It's beautiful to work on with charcoal and chalk and, although quite thin, doesn't crinkle unless you apply water. It comes in every colour imaginable too!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Eileen Hale said...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say trying to photograph your drawings on crinkled kraft paper is an "insurmountable" challenge - I really like the crinkled look. It gives me the feeling that I could hold this drawing in my hand; gives it a feeling of substance, to me. I love the drawings: the poses, your drawing, which looks both relaxed, and specific enough to define muscles and the feel of the body, and your use of white highlights as well as the usual darker lines and shadows. Anita's suggestion to try using sugar paper sounds intriguing, but I hope you won't stop using crinkled kraft paper. Thanks for the drawings!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home